Before the Whole30, Chobani Greek yogurt or oatmeal with fruit were my go-to quick breakfast choices on workdays. Because dairy and grains are forbidden on the program, I did some digging on breakfast suggestions and came across a bunch of egg bakes. (I’m not sure whether or not to call this a quiche since it doesn’t have a crust or cheese in it.)
Here’s the original recipe: http://wholefoodhalfass.com/post/33712015566/october-16-whole-30-day-16-breakfast-beef
Of course, I had my own modifications…
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 – 1 cup of coconut milk
- 3 cups of chopped kale
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup of chopped mushrooms (I used cremini and white.)
- 1/4 cup of chopped scallions
- 1/4 lb of ground chicken
- olive oil
- spices of your choice (I use ground pepper and garlic salt by default.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a round pie dish with olive oil.
- Heat about 1/2 – 1 tbsp of olive oil in a skillet.
- Over medium heat, saute onions until they are translucent. Add in the chicken to the skillet. Cook the chicken until lightly browned. Set the chicken and onion aside in a small bowl.
- Lightly grease the skillet with olive oil again. Saute kale until it’s wilted. Set aside kale in a separate bowl.
- Saute red bell pepper, mushrooms, and scallions. After these are finished cooking, turn off the fire. Toss in chicken and kale.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and coconut milk together along with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Fold in the chicken and veggie mix in the egg mix. After all ingredients are mixed together, pour into the pie dish.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes.
Makes 4 servings!